Digital Access

Digital Access
Access kendallcountynow.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Subscribe to your local paper.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Get text messages on your mobile device with news, weather and more from Kendall County Now.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
In our Morning Update newsletter, we'll send you a mix of our best stories and the most recent obituaries emailed directly to you Monday through Friday so you can keep up with what's happening in Kendall County.
Local News

Plano City Council to apply for grant to improve Main Street parking lot

Plano City Council members are hoping to receive federal help for streetscape work on the Main Street Commuter parking lot.

They approved a resolution at the Nov. 13 council meeting to apply for a federal grant through the Illinois Transportation Enhancement Program (ITEP). According to the resolution, the estimated cost of the project is $257,106.

The city is asking that the state approve the grant of $205,685 to cover 80 percent of the cost. The city would then pay the remaining 20 percent or $51,421, according to Mayor Bob Hausler.

“All we are doing at this time is applying for the grant to get funding for the project. We don’t expect to know the result of our application until sometime in 2018.”

The lot is located on the east and west sides of the downtown Plano Amtrak Depot.  

Hausler said there are approximately 64 parking spaces, including ADA spots.

“The work involves more streetscape work around the depot entrance than actual parking lot work,” he said.

ITEP grants provide funding for community based projects that expand travel choices and enhance the transportation experience by improving the cultural, historic, aesthetic and environmental aspects of our transportation infrastructure. The grants are designed to promote and develop alternative transportation options, including bike and pedestrian travel, along with streetscape beautification.

The federal funds are awarded competitively, and projects must be related to surface transportation. 

Eligible applicants include all entities that were previously eligible to apply for Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) funds, and include any local or state government with taxing authority. 

Loading more