Digital Access

Digital Access
Access kendallcountynow.com and all Shaw Media Illinois content from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Subscribe to your local paper.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Get text messages on your mobile device with news, weather and more from Kendall County Now.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
In our Morning Update newsletter, we'll send you a mix of our best stories and the most recent obituaries emailed directly to you Monday through Friday so you can keep up with what's happening in Kendall County.
Local News

Minooka man found guilty of sexual assault after torturing victim for months

Richard S. Cleveland of Minooka
Richard S. Cleveland of Minooka

YORKVILLE – A Minooka man that was charged of multiple sex crimes after torturing a family member has now been convicted.

Richard S. Cleveland, 60, of the 3000 block of U.S. Route 52 was convicted of aggravated criminal sexual assault, aggravated domestic battery and aggravated battery by means of torture after a four-day jury trial that ended June 20 at the Kendall County Courthouse in Yorkville.

The jury deliberated for more than three hours before returning guilty verdicts on all counts, according to a news release from Kendall County State’s Attorney Eric Weis.

Cleveland, who had been in custody since his arrest, is eligible for a minimum sentence of 46 years and a maximum sentence of 190 years in the Illinois Department of Corrections, according to the release. By law, Cleveland must serve 85% of any sentence he receives for the counts involving aggravated criminal sexual assault. Charges against Cleveland were filed after an investigation began in September 2016, the news release said.

The news release said the incidents occurred over the course of about two months and caused the victim great bodily harm.

Cleveland is due back in court for sentencing at 1 p.m. Aug. 2 at the Kendall County Courthouse.

Loading more