Digital Access

Digital Access
Access kendallcountynow.com and all Shaw Media Illinois content from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Subscribe to your local paper.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Get text messages on your mobile device with news, weather and more from Kendall County Now.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
In our Morning Update newsletter, we'll send you a mix of our best stories and the most recent obituaries emailed directly to you Monday through Friday so you can keep up with what's happening in Kendall County.
Columns

Yesteryear

1969: Fifty years ago the bridge over the Fox River on Fox River Drive near Plano was constructed. At the right is the old bridge. The trees on the far side of the river are in what is now Silver Springs State Park.
1969: Fifty years ago the bridge over the Fox River on Fox River Drive near Plano was constructed. At the right is the old bridge. The trees on the far side of the river are in what is now Silver Springs State Park.

March 2014

Oswego Police Chief Dwight Baird won a three-way primary race for Kendall County Sheriff. Incumbent Debbie Gillette defeated her challenger for County Clerk.

March 2009

Kendall County Food Pantry Director Maria Spaeth appeared before the Kendall County Board to tell them that usage is outpacing donations, and the pantry may be forced to close.

March 2004

Yorkville’s Riverfront Fest will move to the Beecher site this year due to sewer construction on Hydraulic Avenue.

Site for the new Yorkville Post Office has been chosen, from 12 possibilities. It will be at the corner of Countryside Parkway and McHugh Road.

March 1999

The Yorkville High School Band was on hand in Washington, D. C. as new Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert was honored at a dinner there.

March 1994

The Yorkville Wrestling Foxes celebrated their second straight dual meet State Championship.

March 1989

The Plattville Grade School building was sold to a Downers Grove man for $17,508. It had not been used for classes since the 1970s.

March 1984

Larry Bretthauer is the new Bristol-Kendall Fire Chief, taking over for Russell Devick.

March 1979

The YHS Boys Basketball team advanced all the way to the Sectional finals, the best state tournament performance in school history. They ended the season with an 11-17 record.

March 1974

A committee was named to fund a new Yorkville School Superintendent after the School Board transferred present superintendent Charles G. Garrison to a newly-created post of assistant superintendent for business affairs.

March 1969

Work is progressing on the new bridge over the Fox River. Known locally as the “five-mile bridge”, it carries Fox River Drive over the water.

March 1964

Lies Chevrolet is leaving the old Valley Garage building at East Van Emmon and Heustis and moving to the former grocery store site at the northeast corner of Route 126 and Route 47.

March 1959

A break-in is being investigated at Hughes Super-Service station on Route 47. It is the only break-in reported in the city in the past 14 months.

March 1954

City water chairman James Price reports the city pumps are running 22 hours a day to keep up with demand. A second well is being drilled on village property south and east of Route 126 and 47, on the L. A. Hanson farm.

March 1949

A front page notice from States Attorney D. C. Mewhirter and Sheriff William Hayden: “Gambling in all forms in Kendall County has reached the place where it can no longer be considered a pastime. Please take notice that all complaints will be investigated and anyone found violating the gambling laws will be prosecuted.”

March 1944

The Kendall County Red Cross War Fund drive is on. County quota is $6,700.

March 1939

The Yorkville HS basketball team is the proud possessor of its first trophy after many years of campaigning. It all came about like this. The Foxes beat Geneva, Big Rock then Hinckley to win the District Tournament. They will play Naperville in the Aurora Regional.

March 1934

We had the pleasure to meet Yorkville’s new jeweler, Francis A. Hance. He hails from Elgin, has 10 years experience.

March 1929

The graders are coming hurrah, hurrah. The Duncan graders have started work on Route 47 south of town.

March 1924

William Bretthauer and Glen D. Palmer, members of Governor Small’s staff, were in Oswego explaining the governor’s programs.

March 1919

Never in the history of the Fox River Valley Railroad has a passenger had to pay more than 35 cents for transportation to Aurora until the new government-controlled railroad raised the rate to 42 cent to go 12 miles.

March 1914

The township high school was defeated 317 to 212 in a record-breaking turnout. Yorkville was the scene of one of the busiest Saturdays in its history and Bridge Street resemble State Street in Chicago.

March 1909

Mrs. Sarah Weeks of Newark has had new lights placed in her house and also George Evans is having some placed in his home. They are a nice light.

March 1904

Mr. Herbert, a brother in law of Miss Orrie Gillis died at his home in Chicago. He was the architect who built the courthouse in Yorkville, both the original building and the present one.

March 1899

Manager Justus Nading says the telephone lines are being extended to Millbrook, Millington and Newark.

March 1894

Newton Brothers have purchased the Cornell building and will shortly move their banking business, the Yorkville Bank, into it. (Later became Yorkville National Bank)

March 1889

We noticed a good many teams are busily engaged in hauling stone to lay the foundation for building an addition to the Plattville church, on the rear, for a lecture room and social purposes.

March 1884

Two freight trains collided between Millbrook and Millington. A brakeman was killed and the engineer is not expected to live. It was a fearful accident.

March 1879

John Habel has been appointed as the Yorkville police constable in place of Chris Weber, resigned. John is big enough to snatch a tramp baldheaded if he has got the nerve.

March 1874

The largest corncrib in the county, we venture to say, is the on situated on the street south of the railroad track in Plano and owned by M. C. Dewey. It is 336 feet long, eight feet wide and 14 feet high. And presently full of corn.

March 1869

The meeting called on Monday to incorporate the village of Yorkville was adjourned without organizing. There is a movement on foot to have another more general meeting in a few days. (Yorkville was incorporated July 8, 1873)

Loading more