Oswego Fire Protection District Firefighters extinguished a fire at a McDonald's restaurant at the southwest corner of Route 30 and Douglas Road in Oswego late Thursday afternoon, July 11.
In a statement, the fire district reported that firefighters were summoned to the restaurant at 4:25 p.m. on a report of smoke coming from the roof.
Once inside the restaurant, firefighters found a grease fire in a fryer which had activated the building's fire extinguishing system. However, police said the fire had become hot enough to ignite some insulation around an exhaust pipe.
The fire district described the damage to the restaurant as extensive and said it will remain closed for an unknown amount of time.
No injuries were reported in the incident.
Assisting firefighters at the scene were personnel from the village of Oswego's building and zoning department, Kendall County Health Department, ComED and NICOR.
The village of Oswego annexed the McDonald's into the village in the 1980s. The restaurant chain first opened a building on the site in the mid-1970s.