March 2015: Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner visited Yorkville promoting his tax relief plans.
March 2010: A ribbon cutting ceremony marked the beginning of the Kendall Area Transit (KAT) bus service in the county.
March 2005: The 56-acre park in Grande Reserve Subdivision will be named for Steven G. Bridge, a former Park Board member and Yorkville High School graduate.
March 2000: Ground was broken for the Orchard Road Route 34 project near Oswego. The plan is to extend Orchard Road south from Rt. 34, across a new bridge amd the Fox River to Route 71.
March 1995: The YHS boys basketball team advanced to the Sweet 16 of Class A before losing to Rockford Lutheran in the NIU Super Sectional.
March 1990: A special bin for recyclable goods is now available in the Yorkville area. City residents can take their newspaper and milk jugs to the bin, which has been placed near the Landmark Car Wash on Route 47 on the north side of Yorkville.
March 1985: About four acres of the Game Farm property was deeded to the Bristol-Kendall Cemetery Association to be used to add on to Elmwood Cemetery.
March 1980: Voters will face changes in the primary election. Paper ballots have been replaced with punch cards and Democrats will notice a difference, several candidates for local offices on the ballot instead of blank spaces.
March 1975: City mail delivery began. Previously, residents either had to be on a rural route, or get their mail at a post office box.
March 1970: A mass immunization program for Rubella, commonly called German measles or three-day measles, has been scheduled for all county children in first to third grade.
March 1965: Sen. Robert Mitchler said he is opposed to a bill being proposed that would require a person to register and be licensed to own a firearm.
March 1960: The Yorkville Business Men’s Association met at the Pine Village. Among the items discussed, a proposed Route 47 bypass east of the city.
March 1955: The wreckage of a light plane, lost over the area Saturday, was found Wednesday morning southeast of Yorkville. All four passengers, servicemen from Danville, were dead. They refueled at Joliet en route to Minneapolis and were encouraged not to proceed due to dense fog.
March 1950: Webster’s Rexall Drugs and Ohse’s Grocery store are getting new fronts, sprucing up the west side of Bridge Street downtown. Now if we could get the big trucks and transports to slow down so the business houses don’t shake and quiver as they go through, we could keep our stores from falling to pieces.
March 1945: An ad featuring Kate Smith encouraged women to save baking fats (no matter how dark or blackened) for the war effort.
March 1940: Railroad workmen are busy working on the signal in the middle of Bridge Street. They told us the base is now heavily reinforced and is guaranteed to be well-nigh immovable. We doubt it but don’t wish to try it out. We still think the smart thing to do is make an overhead support and suspend the signal instead of having it in the middle of the road.
March 1935: There was a washout on River Road at the Blackberry Dam and mill race. There is talk of rebuilding the historic 83-year old mill race. The editor can remember the old mill wheel and exploring the mill race.
March 1930: Sheriff C. T. Carlson drove to Juneau, Alaska and returned with the man long sought for the disappearance of Dickerson’s turkeys.
March 1925: Fire took one of the village’s landmarks this week. The big Hopkins house on the top of the Bristol hill was a familiar place for tourists and visitors. It was built by the late Dr. Robert Hopkins in the 1850s.
March 1920: Due to a shortage of coal, the Bristol School is closed temporarily.
March 1915: Barkley and Wright of Yorkville have opened a new garage in Oswego
March 1910: A building has been erected the T. C. Gabels in Plattville for the new corn sheller bought by the North Threshing Company.
March 1905: Reuben Whitley has been town clerk of Bristol for 23 years; Ed Budd Jr. town clerk of Fox 17 years; and Orvil Kilts town clerk of Little Rock for 15 years.
March 1900: Woodman Hall in Oswego was well filled with people enjoying a home talent show when the cry of fire was raised. It was ascertained that it was in the next building and there was a lively getting out, but no panic. Firemen seemed to have it under control but suddenly it flashed and the entire Schickler block was doomed.
March 1895: C. A. Darnell and Myers DeGroff of Little Rock each gave their schools a brief vacation before starting a new term.
March 1890: Several men from Chicago have bought Starved Rock and 100 acres of land around it for $15,000. The purchasers expect to make a fine resort.
March 1885: The electric light system in Oswego and other places is now entirely changed thanks to the Tubular Lamp System at the drug store, which was introduced last week. The apparatus contains 19 lamps and makes every nook and corner of the place just as light as can be.
March 1880: A new crossing has been put down from the new depot platform to the paper mill, high enough to keep pedestrians out of the mud.
March 1875: George Churchill is tearing down the old log house on the Burgess farm in Seward Township. it is the last log of 10 which stood between here and Plattville 30 years ago.
March 1865: A movement is afoot to incorporate the village. The only reason put forth is so that sidewalks may be laid for the benefit of pedestrians. This is a poor reason for we do not wish to go to such expense merely for that end. It should be voted down.