Digital Access

Digital Access
Access kendallcountynow.com and all Shaw Media Illinois content from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Subscribe to your local paper.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Get text messages on your mobile device with news, weather and more from Kendall County Now.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
In our Morning Update newsletter, we'll send you a mix of our best stories and the most recent obituaries emailed directly to you Monday through Friday so you can keep up with what's happening in Kendall County.
Coronavirus

Gov. Pritzker orders schools closed until March 30 over coronavirus

Illinois now at 46 COVID-19 cases

Students exit DeKalb High School and head to their buses at the end of the day Friday afternoon.
Students exit DeKalb High School and head to their buses at the end of the day Friday afternoon.

As a public service, Janna Misek, State Farm Insurance & Shaw Media will provide open access to information related to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) emergency. Sign up for the newsletter here

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker announced Friday afternoon that all public and private schools, including Chicago Public Schools, will be closed, starting Tuesday, March 17, until March 30, because of concerns over the spread of COVID-19.

"I understand the gravity of this action," Pritzker said.

Many schools in northern Illinois had already begun announcing closures and moving to e-learning throughout Friday amid coronavirus concerns.

“We have seen evidence from influenza outbreaks that community mitigation strategies such as school closures will have an effect on decreasing the severity of the outbreak,” said Illinois Department of Health Director Dr. Ngozi Ezike.

The state also announced an additional 14 confirmed cases of coronavirus. Among the 14 new cases, nine are Chicago, four Cook County, and one Lake County. New cases being reported Friday range in age from 20s to 90s.

Pritzker's announcement comes a day after he advised event organizers to immediately postpone – or better yet – cancel any events that could attract more than 1,000 people, as a safety measure because of the coronavirus outbreak.

Loading more