Digital Access

Digital Access
Access kendallcountynow.com and all Shaw Local content from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Subscribe to your local paper.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Get text messages on your mobile device with news, weather and more from Kendall County Now.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
In our Morning Update newsletter, we'll send you a mix of our best stories and the most recent obituaries emailed directly to you Monday through Friday so you can keep up with what's happening in Kendall County.
Coronavirus

First death from coronavirus confirmed in Kendall County

As a public service, Shaw Media will provide open access to information related to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) emergency. Sign up for the newsletter here

UPDATED AT 5:55 P.M. SATURDAY, MARCH 28

The Kendall County Health Department has confirmed the first death from the COVID-19 corornavirus in the county.

In a press statement issued late Saturday afternoon, the department announced that the deceased was a "male in his 60s with additional health complexity."

The statement continues, "We wish every comfort and blessing for his family."

In addition, the department announced four new cases of COVID-19 in the county, bringing the total number of cases in the county to 13.

"Two males between the ages of 20-40 and two females in their 60-70s tested positive" for the disease, the statement reads.

In a Friday, March 27 news release the department announced a single new COVID-19 case, a man in his 60s. That brought the total number of cases in Kendall County to nine as of yesterday, according to the release.

The update came after three additional cases were confirmed by Kendall County Department of Public Health officials Thursday, March 26 - a man in his 30s, another woman in her 40s and a woman in her 50s.

Previous cases reported in Kendall County include a man in his 50s, a woman in her 60s, a man in his 50s, a woman in her 40s, and a man in his 70s.

No information was provided in the Friday news release from county health officials on the recovery status of previously reported cases.

RaeAnn VanGundy, spokeswoman for Kendall County Health Department, has said the health department stopped saying anything related to travel history for confirmed cases in the county. She had said that's because county health officials are finding the majority of those cases are due to community spread, or the coronavirus traveling directly from one person in the community to another.

VanGundy also had said it's still unknown which hospitals the confirmed cases were tested at. She previously said that information likely will not be released in the future because of patient privacy concerns.

Illinois officials confirmed Saturday that 3,491state residents have tested positive for the novel coronavirus, and that 47 have died.

VanGundy had said the county does not have that data specific to the county available, as the state controls testing numbers.

Kendall County Health Department and Emergency Management Agency officials said in a joint statement on Thursday that they also are urging residents to reach out to elderly loved ones and to help where they can.

"The elderly are often more vulnerable because they are more likely to have impaired physical mobility, chronic health conditions or social and economic limitations that interfere with their ability to prepare, respond and adapt during challenging situations," the joint statement read. "Being prepared can help to reduce fear, anxiety and potential losses."

For more information, visit kendallhealth.org.

• This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Loading more